I Never Watched TV... But Then... #AboutMe

I've never been a big television watcher. As a young child, I preferred playing and reading. As I grew older, school took up most of my time. As an adult, there have been a few series I'd follow but nothing that held my attention like an true fan.

Until lately.

I blame it all on True Blood. When HBO premiered True Blood, I'd just read the series by Charlaine Harris and the girls from my book club decided we'd all watch it together. Girls Night! We'd each bring a bottle of wine and an appetizer, watch the show together and have a great time. It became a tradition and it was fun. What I didn't realize is that it also peaked my interest for other possible tv series I might like.

The Vampire Diaries had me hooked for five seasons. It's based on the book series by L.J. Smith where you are given the insight into the diary of 17-year old Elena Gilbert played by Nina Dobrev. Geared towards teens but addictive to any paranormal lovers, viewers watch as Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley) and Damon Salvatore (Ian Somerhalder), vampire brothers – one good, one evil, war for Elena's soul.

I discovered Supernatural thanks to a friend's recommendation and was hooked immediately. 
Supernatural features stars Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki as Dean and Sam Winchester, two brothers who travel the country looking for their missing father and battling evil spirits along the way. Each episode is fast-paced, occasionally gruesome and the two brothers are hotties!

Wanting more paranormal/ sci-fi with an adult edge, I found Lost Girl on the SciFi Network. It's a dynamic series that follows the life of a succubus played by Anna Silk, as she learns to control her abilities, help those in need, and discovers the truth about her origins. She, of course, has a sidekick played by Ksenia Solo and then there's Kris Holden-Reid as the hunky love interest Dyson. So much happens in this series, the paranormal world has never been so diverse. I got started late on this so I've watched most of the series through NetFlix.

Then along came Game of Thrones and another weekly Girls Night was in order. Game of Thrones is an HBO adaptation of author George R.R. Martin's epic fantasy novel series, A Song of Ice and Fire. The show explores a medieval-like fantasy world with characters all struggling in the only game that matters--the game of thrones. And in this game you either win or you die, there is no middle ground. And seriously, someone always dies! It kills me and I yell at the tv at least once per episode but I can't get enough of this world.

The long awaited OUTLANDER premiered on Starz this fall and I can say I've honestly never been so excited for a tv series. Ron Moore's "Outlander" is based on bestseller book series by author Diana Gabaldon. The show follows the story of World War II nurse, Claire Randall who time travels to 18th century war-torn Scotland. There she meets young Jamie Fraser, a man who will change her life forever. True to the book's story line and portrayed exceptionally well, I clear my calendar weekly for  my date night with the Scottish Highlander Jamie Fraser. Swoon!

Then there's my guilty indulgence... Sons Of Anarchy on FX. I'm addicted, seriously. From the amazing Kurt Sutter, writer/producer of The Shield, this is a dark and dirty drama set in Charming, a sheltered community watched over by a renegade motorcycle club intent on protecting the town from the newcomers that threaten it. Jackson "Jax" Teller is one member of the brotherhood, who finds his own loyalty to the group tested when he experiences its increasing lawlessness and notoriety, while at the same time adjusting to life as a father. I started this on NetFlix as one of their "if you like that, you might like this" recommendations. Never have I been to immersed in a world within a series. Usually only books give me this sense of connection to characters. It's amazing!

So, there you have it. It's my confession that I've been sucked in by the old boob tube -the shiny, big tv- that never appealed to me in my youth. I've even learned how to record shows through our Direct TV app so I can watch the episodes later if I miss one. I suppose in the same fashion that I read book series, I also insist on watching the tv series in order without missing one.

I'll never choose tv over books but I've come to discover its a different kind of entertainment that I'm willing to immerse myself in when given the right opportunity.
- Paloma

Talk To Me.
Do you watch tv? What are your favorites?

Comments

Popular Posts